The concept of this Idara has a history of over 100 years and is the result of considerable efforts, sacrifices and foresight. Traditionally in the early 1900s, students resorted to open spaces/gardens for study. Col. Sahib, then as a student of F.C. College and later K.E. Medical College during 1908-15 frequented the spot where the mosque now stands – at that moment in time, he made it his endeavor, that God willing, he would construct a Mosque.
On retirement in 1948, after a distinguished career, he obtained necessary permission but not without considerable difficulty. It is said that the senior concerned bureaucrat, being a member of club located adjacently, objected as he did not wish to hear the Azan whilst he inebriated. However, having constructed the mosque, he offered it to the Auqaf Department to take charge, but they declined.
Later, Col. Sahib offered to rebuild the existing adjacent shack/restaurant and this library to form a largely self-contained institution which would function mainly with the lease money generated by the restaurant. For this end, a Management Committee was constituted by the Punjab government to ensure continuance and effective operations of the Idara with the proviso that a member of the Salamat family would continue to be a member of the Management and the Chairman ex-officio, being the Secretary Agriculture Punjab. But, with the recent transfer of Bagh Administration to PHA, the D.G PHA took over as the Chairman.
Prior to the building of the mosque in the 1950’s the plinth area of the mosque was used on a regular basis for Dars-e-Quran which was delivered by Mr. Muhammad Ali Kasuri (late) and was largely attended.
Mr. Manzur Elahi (late) who later became the chief minister of Punjab was a patron of the Idara and devoted considerable energy to the promotion of the library. Mr. Majeed Nizami, Sheikh Abdul Haq, Dr. Jahangir Khan (late) and Mr. Ahmed Hassan (late) were also amongst a number of distinguished personalities who gave their patronage.